North Staffordshire Inter-Varsity Club – Constitution
1. The name of the club shall be “The North Staffordshire Inter-Varsity Club” hereinafter referred to as “the Club”.
2. The objects are:
• To provide opportunities for social, cultural and other recreational activities among graduates and others of like interests visiting and resident in North Staffordshire.
• To provide facilities for members of other Inter-Varsity clubs which are members of or affiliated to the Association of Inter-Varsity Clubs (AIVC).
3. The Club shall not hold or express any political, religious or racial opinions, nor shall it be associated with any organisation which holds such opinions.
4. The following persons shall be eligible for ordinary membership of the Club:
• Graduates and past students of universities, colleges or institutions of similar standing.
• Persons otherwise qualified to a level corresponding to corporate membership of the professional institutions.
• Other persons considered by the Committee to have similar tastes and interests in line with the objectives of the Club.
5. All applications for membership are subject to the approval of the Committee, who may take such steps as they see fit to determine the suitability of the applicant for membership.
6. Any person applying for membership may be allowed to continue to attend events pending consideration of their application by the Committee. The Committee may, at its absolute discretion and without assigning any reason, refuse any application for membership.
7. Every member of the Club shall keep the Secretary informed of their current contact details.
8. All members shall be bound by the Constitution, Standing Orders and other rules of the Club.
9. All members shall be entitled to the facilities offered by the Club.
10. Any member may resign membership at any time by giving notice in writing to the Secretary before his/her annual subscription becomes due.
11. The Committee reserves the right to terminate any membership at its own discretion. Conduct by a member which is prejudicial to the interests of the Club shall render such a member liable to expulsion or suspension from the Club by the Committee. Any member liable to such action shall be notified in writing of the reason and invited to submit his/her representations. The matter shall be considered at a further meeting of the Committee and if two-thirds of the members of the Committee vote for his/her expulsion they shall thereupon cease to be a member of the Club.
12. When a person ceases to be a member of the Club, they shall forfeit all rights of claim upon the Club and its property and funds and no repayment of subscription shall be made.
13. Members of other Inter-Varsity clubs may, subject to the payment of such supplementary fees or subscriptions as may from time to time be laid down by the Committee, enjoy all privileges of membership, excluding voting rights, provided that at the same time they comply with the rules and regulations of the Club.
14. The Committee may propose any person of standing to become an Honorary member. Such a proposition shall normally be endorsed by an Annual General Meeting (AGM). Honorary members shall be entitled to all benefits and privileges of ordinary membership except voting rights.
15. Membership of the Club is subject to payment of the appropriate annual subscription.
16. The Club subscriptions shall be determined by the Committee and confirmed at an AGM prior to the subscription year.
17. Subscriptions are due on the first day of January of the subscription year.
18. The officers of the Club shall include Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and six or more ordinary members as elected at the AGM.
19. The officers of the Club shall be deputed to a Committee consisting of:
• The officers mentioned in article 18
• Membership Secretary
• Assistant Membership Secretary
• Events Co-ordinator
• Social Media Administrator
• Database Administrator
• Events Schedule Editor
• AIVC Liaison Officer
• Meetup Listing
• Any deputy as required
• Any members co-opted by resolution of the Committee in accordance with Article 21.
20. The AGM or an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) may elect additional committee posts.
21. The Committee may co-opt additional committee posts.
22. The Committee may appoint such Sub-Committees as they consider necessary or expedient and may depute to them or refer to them such powers and duties as they may determine. Such Sub-Committees shall periodically report their proceedings to the Committee and shall conduct their business in accordance with any directions which the Committee shall give.
23. The Chair, Secretary and Treasurer shall be entitled to attend any Committee or Sub-Committee of the Club.
24. The Committee may make Standing Orders to govern its own meetings and those of Sub-Committees of the Club and may make regulations governing the conduct of the officers of the Club and the use of Club facilities by members.
25. In the case of offices of the Committee falling vacant during the year, nominations shall be submitted in writing to the Secretary by a stated date together with the signatures of a proposer and a seconder and the written consent of the nominee. A postal ballot will be held when there is more than one nomination for an office.
26. The Committee should meet at least once every two months. Not less than three days’ notice shall be given of any Committee meeting.
27. The quorum for the Committee shall be half the number of members holding office, with the proviso that at least one of Chair, Secretary or Treasurer must be present.
28. Minutes of all meetings shall be taken and such minutes shall be open to inspection by any member of the Club on application to the Secretary. The right to withhold minutes which refer to the personal circumstances of any individual is reserved.
29. Each member of the Committee shall have one vote on each motion, except that the Chair shall only vote when a casting vote is required. A resolution can only be carried if it attains a simple majority.
30. The Chair at Committee meetings shall be taken by the Chair of the Club and in his/her absence by a committee member previously nominated by the Chair.
31. The Committee may elect one of their members to be Deputy Chair, to serve as Chair in the case of the office of Chair falling vacant during the year, pending an election at the AGM.
General meetings of the Club
32. The AGM shall be held within one month of 31st October, the date to be agreed by the Committee.
33. Notice of the AGM shall be included with any events schedule issued sufficiently in advance for every member to receive 21 days’ notice of the event. Such notice shall include a request for items on the Agenda and a statement of the Club accounts for the preceding financial year.
34. All paid up members of the Club shall have a vote at all General meetings. Voting may be by paper ballot of those members present or by a show of hands, the method to be decided by the Chair.
35. The business of the AGM shall include:
• A review of the Club’s previous year activities by the Chair
• Reception of a financial report by the Treasurer to include the audited statement of accounts for the preceding financial year
• Any motion relevant to the meeting of which seven days’ notice has been given to the Secretary
• Any other business agreed by the meeting.
36. At the AGM an election shall be held for officers of the Club as defined by Article 18 and other committee members as defined by Article 19.
37. Nominations for the Committee at the AGM shall be submitted in writing to the Secretary at any time before the election together with the signatures of proposer and seconder, both being members of the Club. The written consent of the nominee must be obtained.
38. If nominations for any committee post are not received prior to the AGM, that meeting shall have the power, by a two-thirds majority of those present, to elect any suitable member who expresses a willingness to stand for office.
39. The newly elected Committee shall have the power to subsequently co-opt suitably willing members to any unfilled committee post.
40. The Committee may at any time, and shall on request of any 10 paid up members of the Club or one tenth of the total Club membership (whichever is fewer) convene an EGM, stating the business for which it is required.
41. The Secretary shall, at least seven days before any EGM, provide written notice to each member of such a meeting, stating the time and place at which it will be held and the main business to be brought before it.
Accounts and Audit
42. The financial year of the Club shall end on 31st August each year. A statement of income and expenditure and a balance sheet shall be submitted to the Club at the AGM.
43. A suitably qualified non-committee member shall inspect and report on the accounts after the end of the financial year and before the AGM.
44. The Treasurer shall be responsible for the funds of the Club, under the supervision of and in such a manner as shall be determined by the Committee.
45. The Committee shall have the power to expend Club funds in such a manner as they think fit in accordance with the rules and objects of the Club.
46. The interpretation of the rules and regulations shall be the function of the Committee provided that any member may appeal to a General Meeting of the Club, where the will of the majority shall be final.
Dissolution of the Club
47. If at any General Meeting of the Club a resolution for the dissolution of the Club be passed by a majority of the members present, a poll of ordinary members on that matter shall be held not less than one month and not more than three months thereafter. The result of that poll shall be communicated to ordinary members not more than one month after the poll is concluded. If such resolution be confirmed by two-thirds of those voting in the poll the Committee shall thereupon, or on such future dates as shall be specified in such resolution, proceed to realise the property of the Club and after the discharge of all liabilities shall either deposit the residue with the AIVC or divide the residue equally between five registered charities, as determined by the whole of the Committee.
Alteration of the Rules
48. These rules and regulations can be added to, repealed or amended by resolution of an AGM, the intention of which shall have appeared in the notice of or Agenda for the meeting,
provided that two-thirds of the members present and eligible to vote, vote in favour thereof.